Saturday, July 30, 2011

Etowah Indian Mounds

Today we decided to go to the Etowah Indian Mounds. They are about 35 minutes from where we live. The Etowah Indians were a very prominent Indian tribe that was in this region of Georgia.
This is the type of dwelling they lived in.
The site has three Indian mounds. On the largest mound, is where the chief of the tribe would have his house. The smaller mounds were used for ceremonial purposes. I think one had a temple on top.
-
The mounds used to be covered by clay. Later in the post you can see a picture of what they may have looked like.
You have to go up a lot of stairs to get to the top of the mound.
From the top you could see everything. I could see why the chief would live up here. He would have been able to see the whole tribe.
On top, you could also see a nuclear power plant.
The mounds are right by the river, which was really pretty.





I am getting good at taking pictures.
Yellow Dog wanted to climb a tree. I had to help him down. He got stuck.
Say "cheese" Yellow Dog. This shows what the village may have looked like.

2 comments:

Taylor's said...

I love that you guys get to experience the east coast - mainly because that is where I am from (Virginia)!

So fun! Keep the adventures up - although we do miss seeing you guys!

Josh and Anna said...

Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog, you are a good friend:)

I'm glad you guys are really taking advantage of your new part of the country. How fun that you get to explore such cool places that you probably wouldn't think of otherwise.

Hope your family is doing well:)

Number of Blog Visitors