Yesterday I had to go to Primary Children's Hospital to have an MRI. I was pretty nervous. I couldn't have a bottle all day! I was so hungry. I tried to be brave, but I started to get a little grumpy.
The nurse had to take my blood pressure. She put this thing on my leg that squeezed it. Boy, it hurt. I didn't like it at all so I wiggled and cried. She ended up not being able to take it. She had to wait until I was asleep. They put these funny warmers on my hands so they could find the veins. I played with them. Grandma and I pretended we were boxing. I won.



Here I am with Mom. She had to be brave too, but I am afraid she wasn't very brave.
They tried to give me an IV in my hands. I cried and cried! It hurt so much. Dad and another nurse had to hold me down. I didn't like being trapped either. After all of that pain, it didn't even work! They had to go and get a special light so they could see the vein in my foot. Then they put the IV in my foot. I cried so much. Mom said she had never heard me cry so much and so hard. She had to wait in the hall.
Then they put some medicine in my IV and that is all I can remember. But I will tell you what Mommy told me. After I was asleep they put me in this big scary machine. Mommy said I sure looked little.
Mom, Dad, and Grandma got to watch the process for about 5 minutes. During that time I was so wiggly that they had to start over twice. Hmph. I told them it is hard to get me to sleep.


The MRI took about thirty minutes. After I was done I had to sleep off the medicine. Here is a picture of an IV drip and the blood pressure thing on my leg.
The nurse said I should sleep for two hours. Ha ha! They must have run out of primary songs. I only slept for one! (See, I give Mom and Dad a run for their money.... no one can keep me asleep! Even sedated!)

Well, I should have slept more, that medicine made me mad! They fed me just a little glucose water to see if I could keep it down. I did, so I demanded a bottle. About twenty minutes later they sent us home. I slept all of the way home, which helped take off the edge to the medicine. Once I got home I wanted to play. I am kind of funny when I want to play and I am drugged.
Oh, the best part! I can't believe I almost forgot! I am ok! I have liquid around my brain, but Dr. House said that it is normal for some kids. I should outgrow it when I am about 2 years old. My pediatrician will just have to monitor me closely, and I might have to have more MRI's or CAT scans in the future. Basically, the liquid might slow my motor development. Mom will call my pediatrician later today to find out more information, but the neurologist said I am fine.
* * *
Well, Dr. Templeman actually called me while I was typing this post. He said the same thing as Dr. House. He said that the fluid and big head are probably genetic through the men on Daddy's side of the family. So I am going to blame Daddy and Grandpa Steve for the suffering I had to go through. (I will be accepting toys in exchange for forgiveness.) Dr. T also said that the fluid shouldn't be causing any headaches. Rats... you know what this means.... Mommy and Daddy are going to start laying down the law.... I won't get away with much anymore. (I will be accepting toys from anyone that feels bad for me. Which should be everyone. Afterall, I am so cute.)
*
*
PS I like noisy toys.



1 comment:
oh I feel so bad for nathen!
Post a Comment